Monday, March 2, 2015

What went into making You - Food Choices over Nine Months

First time is usually 90% ignorance or in my case I'd say reluctance & ignorance. The first pregnancy was quite a stirrer for me - 5 months of terrible nausea & vomiting resulted in psychologically denting any desire for food & I ended up having too many food aversions (Onion, Ghee, Tea etc). So five months were somewhat a waste as far as nutrition is concerned. The remaining four were very normal - just the usual Indian meals comprising Roti (Indian bread), cooked vegetables, Daal (lentils), Rice, Fruits etc. Meals were definitely not in excess as happens now, it was just my regular diet. Junk was quite limited or I'd say rare. There was actually no craving except once in the fifth month (for South Indian food!). Milk with almond was a consistent routine in last two months. So I hope this just made up for all the loss of five months. Nevertheless, I am grateful to God for a perfect healthy little baby I got & though she is slim, she's healthy. No wonder Aanya is a picky eater, even till date.

Hmm... This time around I did have my share of nausea spread over 3 months, but thankfully it wasn't as loaded with bouts of vomits as last time. So I started on a healthy note from beginning.  Despite some food aversions, a regular diet and more frequent meals is what I started off with. I'd rather list down a monthly food routine than just some items here and there:

1) August / September / October
My regular dose of Tea slowly made an exit from being the first beverage in the morning & evenings to being totally undesirable. This made me quite cranky from within but I just didn't feel like having it either. So till October, I was off tea. 
Instead I had complete meals with Lentils, Roti, Cooked Veggies, Eggs, Poha (Rice Flakes), Salted Puffed Rice, Almonds, Raisins & Milkshakes (Banana shake is what I could gulp down comfortably, Milk being another aversion!), Yogurt etc. Warm lemon water has been a compulsory drink to ward off nausea. I had strong cravings for fresh fruits, fresh veggies, tomato soup, mint (which became an aversion food the very next day!) & of course carbohydrates (Crackers, Breads etc). Preferred salty foods to sweet due to the building nausea & extreme exhaustion.

2) November / December / January:
Doughnuts is what I craved for during November & thank goodness for Dunkin Doughnuts that opened shop that very month, quite near to my doctor's clinic. I had my fair share of amazing doughnuts & lip smacking smoked burgers at Dunkins. Aanya too enjoyed along, so no one was complaining! :) ... This was just the craving part. Apart from that I ate healthy foods like Walnuts, Almonds, Milk, Ghee in Daals, warm Lemon water, Lentils, Rotis, Sabzis (cooked veggies), loads of eggs, Egg Biryani & Pizzas (made by your Papa), Lauki Kofta, Fruits (Apples, Oranges, Banana, Chikoos, Musk Melon), Mushrooms (sauteed or cooked in gravy) etc. 

In December & January, food choices were similar to November & much more regular as we employed a cook for half a day. The cravings were for Chinese foods - at my favorite restaurant - Hunan (Bangalore). Apart from that, I enjoyed home cooked South Indian food (Idli, Dosa, Vada, Coconut Chutney & Sambhar). I loved having homemade Paani Puri & Aaloo Tikki. I guess I just wanted to have very delicious foods all through & anything less than that did make me cranky at times! :) . And how can I miss the delicious Plum Cake from Aanya's  that I hogged on for about a week in December! Sheer indulgence!

3) February/March/April:
February finished off in a blink. The diet was same as above. I had lots of Baigan Bharta (Cooked & Mashed Eggplant recipe) over these months & its been a constant favorite. Lady finger, Bottle Gourd, Beans, Carrots, Cucumber, Eggplant, Capsicum, Onion, Tomato are few of the veggies that I've eaten all through the last 6 months. Salted peanuts, Banana chips were a favorite evening snack, along with milkshake. Lassi, Chaas, Milkshakes, Juices are a few of the beverages that I enjoyed. Tea is still off the routine but I do make a very light version at times in mornings. I rather prefer warm lemon water, but tea does entice me at times. March has just begun & I'm on the same diet. 

So a lot of healthy, yummy (at times a bit spicy) & variety of foods have helped me enjoy these 9 months. I am truly hoping that you will be a complete foodie & would love everything on the menu when you're old enough to eat. Overall, I am happy, thankful & really content with my food choices this time around. Now its time for us to welcome you to our regular weekend treats (Gala Dinner as we call it!) that we've been enjoying as a family of 3. 

Love you our little heart! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment