Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Birth Story

While we excitedly awaited the baby's arrival all along November 2009, it got just too frustrating around the due date when I just would not get any hints of pains/cramps etc. And I kept wondering when is it that we'd get to hold the baby!

So after a week of eating stuff that according to old wive's tales helps get the pains started... nothing really happened. No pains. But on the night (or I'd say early morning of 8th December 2009) at around 3 am, I went to the toilet & noticed spotting. This was one symptom to report to the hospital and I excitedly woke up my husband. He then woke up his parents & we all made our hurried trip to the hospital. 

We reached the hospital and I was quickly admitted to the designated room. A quick change of clothes and I was already tucked in a bed, albeit in waiting. As it was early morning (I am averse to early mornings, I develop terrible nausea) and I was quite apprehensive & excited, I kind of instantly vomited right there while waiting on that makeshift bed. The nurse cleaned up and later I was made to shift to one of the beds that was third or fourth in line of the beds in that preparation/waiting room. 

Next I know is that I was strapped all around with those straps/needles & god knows what not. On and off the doctors would come and check. I still did not develop any pains and was just whiling away time. My doctor did not show up even until 1 pm on 8th December. Her assistant doctor visited and checked. She was the most impudent & insensitive doctor I'd ever met. She checked me and thought I was quite stiff for all those internal checks & in turn called up my doctor to tell her that I kicked her while she checked me! I actually lost a lot of my confidence or rather my patience right there. As it is the family was not allowed inside (just one member at a time, for just about 2-3 minutes, at intervals of half an hour). On top of being alone in that room listening to other expecting girls howling their guts out, the doctor's behavior just sapped out all my positive & happy feelings of being there to receive my baby!

Well, later another assistant doctor came visiting and made her intervention to release the water bag. And after all these unnecessary medical antics, my doctor visited at 2 pm. And she declared that the baby has released meconium inside (preliminary excretion) & that is harmful if ingested during a normal delivery. So she announced we go for a cesarean!!!

I was told by family members to brave myself for a good normal delivery and avoid a cesarean at all cost. And here I was being geared up for cesarean (those scary declaration forms etc). I burst into a flood of tears, crying inconsolably & worried about how things were going to go.

Nevertheless, I braved myself & was towed away to the OT in a wheelchair. Again, there was a waiting time of about one or two hours in the OT waiting area. Only around 4 pm my doctors took me inside the OT and gave the anesthesia on my back. 

At 4.33 pm, I heard her first cry!

Later, one of the doctors came to show me my daughter & rudely claimed I have not eaten well enough and so she was quite thin and tiny! Fine... I'll take that too. More brickbats than wishes!

She was taken to the nursery and kept there for a day as the pediatrician wanted to keep the necessary check on her for those  crucial first hours. So I actually did not get to see her for a day. 

While all this was going on, I was recovering in my room with terrible headache & a stiff, unnatural body that was still under anesthetic effect.

The next day when they brought her into the room, it was a precious moment seeing her for the first time. I could not lift myself completely to see her, but again, those tiny glimpses were too cute. 

After 3-4 days of recovery in hospital, we got discharged finally and made our way back home. So this is how our Little Cupcake came in our lives & our world. 

I was so elated as I always loved baby girls. And she was the purest little thing I had ever seen. Thank you for coming into our lives. You're the biggest and purest joy we'll ever experience! 


No comments:

Post a Comment